Post: Management Accountant
Reporting to: Financial Controller
We are a long term business and to be successful we must maintain our performance over generations. This means doing the right thing for the long term interests of the company, not taking short cuts and making the appropriate investment decisions. Our assets need to be maintained to a high standard and financial stability ensured by effective financial management and corporate governance. We must achieve this whilst ensuring we are efficient and have the flexibility to adapt with the times.
The role of Management Accountant is a key position within the finance team ensuring that the financial and management accounting needs of the Company are delivered in an efficient and cost-effective manner with accuracy and completeness to the highest standard.
Candidates for the role will need to demonstrate a positive attitude, a strong attention to detail and excellent communication skills. Interpersonal skills of the highest order are required to communicate, verbally and in writing, with all levels within the Company as well as with external contacts such as service providers, other professional firms, bankers, institutions and business partners.
We are looking for candidates who are numerate, methodical, organised and practical with sound commercial judgement, financial acumen and a proactive approach. The candidate should be a qualified Chartered or Certified Accountant ideally with relevant commercial experience. The role would also suit candidates who are recently qualified and looking to move away from practice. A sound knowledge and understanding of accounting standards, taxation and regulatory matters relevant to the business needs of the Company is required.
Candidates will also need a thorough understanding of and experience in using Microsoft excel to extract, analyse and report on large volumes of financial information.
Summary of key duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with the preparation of regular management and financial information that meets the varying needs of the business, management and the Board. Undertake variance analysis on results at a corporate level and for functional departments. Monitor performance against budgets and targets and analysing and identifying reasons for variances.
- Preparation of regular capital expenditure reporting to senior management and functional departments.
- Assist the Financial Controller in the delivery of an enhanced capital expenditure reporting process.
- Take a lead role in the identification and capitalisation process for all capital works projects.
- Support the Finance Director and Financial Controller in the collation, preparation and review of annual budgets and long term business plans of the company ensuring they are aligned with the strategic business plan.
- Support the Finance Director and Financial Controller in the preparation of the financial statements of the Company including all statutory, corporate governance and regulatory disclosures.
- Liaison with internal and external auditors and Company advisors where appropriate and the preparation and provision of information necessary for their work.
- Support the Financial Controller with the preparation of monthly payroll; liaising with HR as necessary.
- Support the Financial Controller with the administration of the Company’s corporate governance risk management procedures and ensuring that the risk assessment procedures are adhered to.
- Support the Financial Controller with the preparation and submission of regulatory and statutory returns including GST, ITIS, Social Security and liaison with the company’s tax advisors in respect of income tax computations and submissions.
- Support the Finance Director and Financial Controller to ensure appropriate systems are in place for the business to be able to monitor and control costs and risks to ensure the business is operated in an efficient and profitable manner.
- Assisting the Finance Director with the provision of information to the Board, administration and preparation for Board meetings and undertaking projects requested by the Board.
- Maintain the positive working relationships with other departments, ensuring the effective operation of process and data interfaces between departments.
- Provide ad hoc financial information to other departments as and when required.
- Assist with the identification, implementation and delivery of continuous improvement projects within the department.
- Keep abreast of developments that affect the financial aspects of the business, such as regulatory and accounting standards and requirements and maintain an up to date knowledge of events in the UK water industry.
- Deputise for the Financial Controller as and when required.
Closing Date: Monday 30th April