Role Name: Safety and Risk Manager
Reporting to: Operations Director
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high-calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential.
Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and well-being. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy.
Jersey Water’s company values are incorporated into everything we do; from the way we interact with our colleagues and customers through to Strategy setting and delivery. Our values are so important that our performance is measured equally between the role that we perform and the way that we do it (living and demonstrating our values). Team participation and feedback flows through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross-team collaboration is at the heart of everything we do.
The role of the Safety and Risk Manager has a dual purpose within Jersey Water with the following main objectives:
- Developing and fostering a behaviour-based safety culture in the workplace with the aim to focus attention on everyday behaviours, working with our people to determine the root causes of unsafe behaviours and the best route to improve and prevent them.
- Ensuring the effective operation and development of Jersey Water’s health & safety management system and compliance with all applicable health & safety legislation, codes of practice and best practices.
The Safety and Risk Manager will work in all areas of the business and with our people at all levels promoting a culture of safe working and risk mitigation across the organisation. They will use their technical expertise to advise, guide and support the wider business in a process of continuous improvement and the ongoing application of industry best practices.
Candidates for the role will need to have recent relevant experience in a Health & Safety role in an operational environment. Preference will be given to candidates with relevant experience and in possession of or working towards achieving industry-accredited standards for Occupational Health and Safety and/or National Compliance and Risk Qualifications in applied Health and Safety e.g. (NEBOSH, Membership of CMIOSH and or ROSPA Assured training.
Candidates will also have a thorough understanding of risk identification and mitigation in the wider business context. They should possess the organisational, managerial, and interpersonal skills necessary to coordinate and deliver effective incident response and business continuity planning across the organisation.
You will also need to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Leadership and management experience as well as being a team player who can work with and contribute to the success of the Company in meeting its objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion for continuous improvement.
- A structured, organised, and methodical approach.
- A clean driving licence.
What you do
- To manage, oversee and develop the company’s health & safety management systems, providing a robust and comprehensive framework to enable departmental managers to manage health & safety within their departments.
- To regularly review and update the health & safety policies and all internal safe working procedures, codes of practice, risk assessment and other procedures to comply with legal and best practice requirements.
- To identify and arrange health & safety-related training for Jersey Water staff and liaise with the HR department to maintain training records and training renewal requirements (including training in the use of specialised equipment). To deliver in-house training where appropriate.
- To organise, coordinate and undertake relevant tests, inspections and audits of plant and equipment to verify and assess compliance with internal policies and procedures, external regulations and best practice.
- To investigate accidents, report on findings and make recommendations on H&S and well-being improvements where necessary.
- To develop safety and risk management best practices within Jersey Water embedding them into the organisational culture and business-as-usual processes.
- To participate in business risk identification and assessment processes.
- Seeking advice from external advisers as appropriate.
- To produce monthly statistical and written reports on performance and other reports as needed.
How you do it (Company values)
- Take personal ownership for your personal and professional development, booking 1:1 meetings, performance reviews and focused five discussions. Fully preparing for each
- Constantly review the work that you do and the way that you do it, looking for opportunities to streamline processes
- Align your behaviour, actions and decision-making with our values of We Care, We are ambitious, and We work together at all times
- Act as a leader at all times, considering the impact of your actions on others
- Present a positive, can-do attitude
- Support your Lead in successful delivery of departmental objectives and changes in policies and processes
- Challenge the ‘norm’ in a productive and positive manner
- Accept and give feedback readily, assuming positive intent
- Keep up to date with policies and procedures
- Put the needs of the company and our customers at the forefront of our minds
- To actively partake in interdepartmental and wider company group initiatives to promote team working to ensure continuous improvement is demonstrated.
- To understand and live the Company Values, being able to demonstrate alignment to them as part of the performance review process.
Closing Date: Monday 5th December 2022