Trainee Geographical Information System (GIS) Administrator
Role name: Trainee Geographical Information System (GIS) Administrator
Reporting to: Network Systems and Connections Developer
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential.
Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and wellbeing. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy.
Jersey Water’s company values are incorporated into everything we do; from the way we interact with our colleagues and customers, through to Strategy setting and delivery. Our values are so important that our performance is measured equally between the role that we perform and the way that we do it (living and demonstrating our values). Team participation and feedback flows through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross team collaboration is at the heart of everything we do.
The role of the Trainee GIS Administrator is a key role within Jersey Water and the Network Department to provide support to the Network Team. To ensure administrative tasks are completed, service information requests are up to date and following training use the Global Positioning System (GPS) to collect positioning information of company assets to update the GIS.
You will also need to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills and able to demonstrate a professional and focused manner at all times.
- IT literate and proficient in Microsoft Office products.
- An enthusiastic, proactive, and self-motivated approach to work.
- An interest in the environment and our community.
- An organised, methodical working style, able to manage priorities and work with accuracy to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision including on site working.
- A clean Jersey driving licence.
What you do
- Liaise with the Network Team and other departments to ensure that company information is monitored, kept up-to-date and is accurate.
- Assist Engineers in undertaking surveys, recording locations of Jersey Water apparatus and other field work at Company sites and new pipe work locations.
- Use the GIS system daily to increase knowledge and assist with GIS related tasks.
- Use the GPS device to survey water main locations.
- Gather data out in the field and update the GIS system
- Work closely with the Network Administrator to assist with department admin.
- Maintain manual and electronic filing systems for all correspondence and records.
- Scan and send Jersey Water location records and service information to others on request.
- Gather information from utility companies regarding their apparatus and services.
- Scan old books and records.
- Collate drawings/plans of Jersey Water mains for new/upgrades of services.
- Input information of services into the Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) system and Customer Service billing system.
- Assist with work orders and requests using EAM system.
- Work in accordance with the Principles of Water Supply Hygiene and Jersey Water’s Safe Working Procedures.
- Carry out other duties as directed.
How you do it (Company Values)
- Take personal ownership for your personal and professional development, booking 1:1 meetings, performance reviews and focused five discussions. Fully preparing for each.
- Constantly review the work that you do and the way that you do it, looking for opportunities to streamline processes.
- Align your behaviour, actions and decision making with our values of We Care, We are ambitious and We work together at all times.
- Act as a leader at all times, considering the impact of your actions on others.
- Present a positive, can-do attitude.
- Support your Lead in successful delivery of departmental objectives and changes in policies and processes.
- Challenge the status quo in a productive and positive manner.
- Accept and give feedback readily, assuming positive intent.
- Keep up to date with policies and procedures.
- Put the needs of the company and our customers at the forefront of our minds.
- Actively partake in inter departmental and wider company group initiatives to promote team working to ensure continuous improvement is demonstrated.
- Understand and live the Company Values, being able to demonstrate alignment to them as part of the performance review process.
About Jersey Water
Jersey Water is the sole supplier of treated mains water to Jersey, supplying approximately 40,000 homes and businesses. The Company’s two water treatment works supply over 7 billion litres of water to customers through its 580km network of water mains each year. The Company, which is one of the largest landowners in Jersey, employs 83 people.
The Company’s raw water network includes one standby desalination plant, five boreholes and numerous stream abstraction points all feeding six impounding reservoirs.
The Company has the Silver standard accreditation for investors in People.
The closing date will be Monday 24 January 2022.