Post: Water Regulations Inspector
Reporting to: Metering & Connections Manager
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment. We also ensure our employees are supported to experience new challenges to fulfil their potential.
The role of Water Regulations Inspector is to inspect and sign off plumbing installations, ensuring compliance to Jersey Water’s Byelaws. Preventing waste, misuse, high consumption and contamination of the water supply infrastructure from customers’ private plumbing systems is a key element of this role.
Candidates for the role will have a City & Guilds in Plumbing and Heating, or equivalent experience. We are looking for candidates who are conscientious and self-motivated, with a desire to ensure the highest of standards are maintained.
Candidates will also need to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate a professional and focused manner at all times.
- Proven ability to persuade and influence others and manage potentially difficult conversations calmly and successfully.
- An organised, methodical working style, with the ability to manage priorities and work accurately to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Pragmatic approach to decision making, demonstrating the ability to balance the needs of the customer and the business.
- A flexible and adaptable attitude as this role will require working outside normal office hours on emergency and planned works.
- Willingness to learn, as additional training will be required as part of the role.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
- A clean Jersey driving licence is essential.
- Undertake on-site inspections of customer pipe work and plumbing installations at existing and new premises, in order to assess compliance with water fittings regulations and byelaws (the “Byelaws”).
- Advise customers, plumbing organisations and third parties on the application of the Byelaws.
- Identify high risk water connections and ensure regular inspection and monitoring.
- Certification of plumbing systems subject to compliance with the Byelaws and the management of remediation and re-inspection for non-compliant water fittings including the issuance and follow up of improvement notices..
- Assist in the response to quality and service complaints and the investigations into the causes of water quality issues arising from water fittings and private pipework.
- Carry out water efficiency audits and advise customers on all matters relating to the efficient use of water and ways to reduce consumption.
- Ensure all inspections/ audits are recorded in Jersey Water’s customer relationship management system.
- Encourage the awareness of the Byelaws, promote good relations with customers, installers, public bodies, States and Parish authorities.
- Attend training in Jersey and in the UK to ensure skills are kept up to date and modern standards are applied and maintained.
- Prepare reports for the Metering & Connections Manager on Byelaw inspections and other related activity.
- Work in accordance with the Principles of Water Supply Hygiene and Jersey Water’s Safe Working Procedures.
- Carry out other duties as directed.
Closing Date: Wednesday 14th November