Post: Water Regulations Inspector
Reporting to: Senior Water Regulations Inspector
Closing Date: Tuesday 31 August
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential.
Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and wellbeing. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy. Team participation and feedback flows through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross team collaboration is at the heart of everything we do.
The role of Water Regulations Inspector is to inspect and sign off plumbing installations, ensuring compliance to Jersey Water’s Byelaws. Preventing waste, misuse, high consumption and contamination of the water supply infrastructure from customers’ private plumbing systems is a key element of this role.
Candidates for the role will have a City & Guilds in Plumbing and Heating, or equivalent experience. We are looking for candidates who are conscientious and self-motivated, with a desire to ensure the highest of standards are maintained.
Candidates will also need to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate a professional and focused manner at all times.
- Proven ability to persuade and influence others and manage potentially difficult conversations calmly and successfully.
- An organised, methodical working style, with the ability to manage priorities and work accurately to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Pragmatic approach to decision making, demonstrating the ability to balance the needs of the customer and the business.
- A flexible and adaptable attitude as this role will require working outside normal office hours on emergency and planned works.
- Willingness to learn, as additional training will be required as part of the role.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
- A clean Jersey driving licence is essential.
- To actively partake in inter departmental and wider company group initiatives to promote team working to ensure continuous improvement is demonstrated.
- To understand and live the Company Values of ‘We Care’, ‘We Are Ambitious’ and ‘We Work Together’, being able to demonstrate alignment to them as part of the performance review process.
- Undertake on-site inspections of customer pipe work and plumbing installations at existing and new premises, in order to assess compliance with water fittings regulations and byelaws (the “Byelaws”).
- Advise customers, plumbing organizations and third parties on the application of the Byelaws.
- Identify high risk water connections and ensure regular inspection and monitoring.
- Certification of plumbing systems subject to compliance with the Byelaws and the management of remediation and re-inspection for non-compliant water fittings including the issuance and follow up of improvement notices.
- Assist in the response to quality and service complaints and the investigations into the causes of water quality issues arising from water fittings and private pipework.
- Carry out water efficiency audits and advise customers on all matters relating to the efficient use of water and ways to reduce consumption.
- Ensure all inspections/ audits are recorded in Jersey Water’s customer relationship management system.
- Encourage the awareness of the Byelaws, promote good relations with customers, installers, public bodies, States and Parish authorities.
- Attend training in Jersey and in the UK to ensure skills are kept up to date and modern standards are applied and maintained.
- Prepare reports for the Network Manager on Byelaw inspections and other related activity.
- Work in accordance with the Principles of Water Supply Hygiene and Jersey Water’s Safe Working Procedures.
- Carry out other duties as directed.
About Jersey Water
Jersey Water is the sole supplier of treated mains water to Jersey, supplying approximately 40,000 homes and businesses. The Company’s two water treatment works supply over 7 billion litres of water to customers through its 580km network of water mains each year. The Company, which is one of the largest landowners in Jersey, employs 93 people.
The Company’s raw water network includes one standby desalination plant, five boreholes and numerous stream abstraction points all feeding six impounding reservoirs.
The Company has the Silver standard accreditation for investors in People.
For more information about our company please visit our website, www.jerseywater.je.