This Privacy Notice (Notice) sets out how Jersey Water deals with your personal data that we collect in the course of your use of this website and as a result of interacting with Jersey Water in other ways. Protecting the privacy of our customers is important to Jersey Water. This Notice is provided as a means of allowing you to understand what information we may ask you to supply and what we do (and do not do) with it. We take privacy and security of your information seriously and will only use such personal information as set out in this Notice.
It is important that you read this Notice together with any other privacy notices or fair processing notices we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal data about you so that you are fully aware of how and why we are using your data. This Notice supplements the other notices and is not intended to override them.
1. Collection of information by third parties
The Jersey Water website contains links to other sites whose information practices may differ from those of Jersey Water. If you should visit such third party sites, you should ensure that you read the relevant privacy notices on those sites as we have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties.
2. Who we are – Jersey Water
Jersey Water is the trading name of The Jersey New Waterworks Company Limited. Information that is collected as a result of your use of this website will be the responsibility of Jersey Water, who will act as data controller in relation to your personal data.
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this Notice and any other data protection questions. If you have any questions about this Notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the DPO using the details set out below:
Data Protection Officer, Jersey Water, Mulcaster House, Westmount Road, St Helier, Jersey, JE1 1DG and/or an email address DataProtectionOfficer@jerseywater.je
You may use this form to make a Subject Access Request
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the office of the Information Commissioner’s Office (OIC), the Jersey supervisory authority for data protection issues (https://oicjersey.org/). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the OIC so we would request that you please contact us in the first instance.
3. Where and when we collect your data
We may collect and process your personal data from a variety of sources including:
- Your use of this website or when you contact us by telephone, post, e-mail or through any other means (including for the avoidance of doubt via social media services);
- When you register with us and set up an account to receive our services;
- When you complete surveys that we use for research or feedback purposes (although you are not obliged to respond to them);
- When you enter a competition or promotion;
- When you make payments to us, through this website or otherwise;
- When you set your preferences for receiving communications from us;
- When you use our services or through your interactions with our officers and employees and advisors;
- When we receive your personal data from third parties, for example credit reference agencies or fraud prevention organisations or through third party advisors acting on your behalf; and
- When we collect publicly available information about you.
4. What data we may collect
We may collect and process the following types of personal data:
- Your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth and other contact information;
- Your personal identification documentation, such as original/photocopy of utility bills, your passport, marriage certificate, driving licence, ID card or other documentation required by local law;
- Details of payments that you make to us;
- Information about your billing and payment history, and information we learn from the way you manage your account;
- Details of your visits to our websites and applications including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and other communication data, and the resources that you access;
- CCTV footage and other information obtained through electronic means such as swipe card records;
- Details of your interactions with us, including any which occur electronically or in person. In certain circumstances we may monitor your telephone communications with us for our lawful business purposes including but not limited to: establish the existence of facts relevant to the business; to ascertain compliance with regulatory and self-regulatory practices and procedures that are relevant to the business; to ascertain or demonstrate standards that employees achieve or ought to achieve when using our communication systems; to ensure compliance with policies and procedures; to prevent or detect crime; to investigate or detect unauthorised use of the communication systems; to ensure the effective operation of the communications systems; and to determine whether received communications are relevant to the business; and
- Information about your use of our services, including information about your water usage which we collect from meters. Some of the information we collect about you may include sensitive personal data (or special category data) as defined in the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2005 (or its replacement, the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018).
5. On what basis we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you;
- Where it is necessary for the exercise of any functions conferred on us by or under any enactment or the exercise of any other functions of a public nature with a legal basis in Jersey law to which we are subject and are exercised in the public interest (including but not limited to any obligations under the Water (Jersey) Law 1972 and/or the Water Resources (Jersey) Law 2007);
- In certain circumstances, where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests; and
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
6.What we use your personal data for
Jersey Water and/or persons acting on our behalf may process your personal data for any of the following purposes, depending on the capacity in which you deal with Jersey Water:
- To service and administer your Jersey Water account and to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us including the provision of water related services;
- To ensure the content on our websites and applications is presented in the most effective manner for you;
- To conduct appropriate credit and privacy risk assessments;
- To manage our business and ensure the protection of our own financial interests and those of other Jersey Water entities;
- For monitoring and assessing compliance with Jersey Water’s policies and standards;
- For promotional and marketing materials and activities, including photos and videos;
- To provide you with requested products or services;
- To identify persons authorised to deal with us on behalf of our clients;
- In order to ensure the security and access of our systems, premises, platforms and secured websites and applications; and
- Other purposes reasonably ancillary to the above.
- When we may disclose your personal data
7. We may disclose your personal data to:-
- Any Jersey Water entity;
- Any third party data processors who process your personal data on our behalf;
- Any third parties service providers which are themselves data controllers such as professional advisors, banks and other service providers;
- Any other financial institutions or regulatory bodies with which personal data and other information is shared for fraud and crime prevention and credit risk assessment/mitigation;
- Any national and/or international regulatory, enforcement or exchange body or court where we are required to do so by applicable law or regulation or at their request; and
- Any central or local government department and other statutory or public bodies as required.
8. Data security
Jersey Water uses up-to-date data storage and security techniques to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification or unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
All of our employees and any third parties we engage with to process your personal information are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your information.
9. International transfers or other jurisdictions
We do not transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
10. How long we retain personal data
We will retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected.
Once those purposes are completed, we then have legal and regulatory obligations in connection with data retention which we will need to fulfil.
Additionally, we may also retain personal data in some circumstances for a period of least ten years in order to ensure that we are able to answer and deal with any queries, complaints, tax enquiries or investigations or any legal proceedings which may arise.
12. Your rights
You have the right to apply for a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to have any inaccurate personal data about you rectified.
In some circumstances you may also have the right to ask us to erase your personal data, port it to another data controller, to you, or a third party, restrict its processing or object to its processing. Where the data has been collected based on your consent, you will also have the option to withdraw your consent (but this will not affect the processing of any information prior to you withdrawing that consent).
13. Changes to the Notice and your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
This Notice may be updated from time to time, and you’ll always be able to find the most recent version on this site.