Post: Water Quality Technician
Reporting to: Laboratory Supervisor
Closing Date: Tuesday 31 August
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential. Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and wellbeing. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy. Team participation and feedback flows through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross team collaboration is at the heart of everything we do. The role of Water Quality Technician is essential in establishing and maintaining high quality, safe, reliable and affordable water to our Customers. Significant attention to detail is a pre-requisite of this role.
Candidates will need to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Demonstrate attainment levels equivalent to Functional Skills Level 2 in English (equivalent of GCSE Grade C)
- Demonstrate attainment levels equivalent to Functional Skills Level 2 in Mathematics (equivalent of GCSE Grade C)
- Demonstrate attainment levels equivalent to EITHER
- Functional Skills Level 2 in Information & Communications Technology OR
the European Computer Driving License (ECDL) base modules (i) Computer Essentials; (ii) Online Essentials; (iii) Word Processing; and (iv) Spreadsheets
- Have a full, clean driving license covering, at a minimum, Class B1 and B
- Have a minimum academic qualification NVQ level 3 or equivalent in an appropriate scientific subject (normally chemistry, microbiology or chemical engineering)/
- In certain circumstances extended relevant experience will be considered as a suitable substitute for formal qualifications, provided appropriate competence can be fully demonstrated.
- Membership, or the ability to obtain membership, of an appropriate professional body at an appropriate membership grade such as Registered Science Technician (RSciTech)) or equivalent recognised by Jersey Water.
Evidence of the following competencies will also be required:
- Application of knowledge and understanding
- Applies knowledge
- Interprets and evaluates data
- Personal Responsibility
- Works with minimal supervision
- Manages and applies safe working practices
- Interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal and behavioural skills
- Works effectively with others
- Manages self in a way that promotes a harmonious and positive working environment
- Raises concerns discreetly to the correct person
- Professional practice
- Recognises problems and applies appropriate scientific methods
- Participates in continuous performance improvement
- Maintains and enhances competence within a structured environment
- Previous experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) would be an advantage.
- Previous knowledge of Crystal Reports would be an advantage
- Undertake chemical, microbiological and other routine laboratory analysis and tasks under the direction of the Laboratory Supervisor or their nominated deputy.
- Take samples for analysis from water sources, reservoirs, treatment works, supply zone(s) and all other designated sampling points
- Validate operational monitoring at the treatment works
- Validate and undertake optimisation tests to ensure the treatments works are operating efficiently
- Input and maintain statistical and analytical data on the computer systems producing reports, as requested
- Contribute to the collation of reporting and analyses compiling reports and databases
- Accurately prepare reagents and media as required for carrying out analyses
- Work at weekends on a rota basis and be available outside of normal working hours for emergency and planned work
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of the UK water quality regulations/best practice
- Maintain working knowledge of current issues in the water supply sector relating to water quality
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with the Company’s Safe Working Procedures and Code of Practice for Hygiene
- Provide cover, where appropriate, during colleague absences in the laboratory
- Actively participate in wider business initiatives and multi-disciplinary projects aimed at supporting strategic business objectives including employee consolation groups, charity and social programmes.
- Carry out other duties as may reasonably be required.
About Jersey Water
Jersey Water is the sole supplier of treated mains water to Jersey, supplying approximately 40,000 homes and businesses. The Company’s two water treatment works supply over 7 billion litres of water to customers through its 580km network of water mains each year. The Company, which is one of the largest landowners in Jersey, employs 93 people. The Company’s raw water network includes one standby desalination plant, five boreholes and numerous stream abstraction points all feeding six impounding reservoirs. The Company has the Silver standard accreditation for investors in People. For more information about our company please visit our website, www.jerseywater.je