Role name: Project Engineer
Reporting to: Asset Manager
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential.
Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and wellbeing. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy.
Jersey Water’s company values are incorporated into everything we do; from the way we interact with our colleagues and customers, to Strategy setting and delivery. Our values are so important that our performance is measured equally between the role that we perform and the way that we do it (living and demonstrating our values). Team participation and feedback flow through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross-team collaboration is at the heart of everything we do.
The role of Project Engineer is a key role within the Water Supply Operations Team to help plan, develop, and deliver capital investment projects across the company asset base. You will assist Department Leads and the Operations Director in the delivery of engineering projects through the full project delivery cycle. The role is a blend of practical fieldwork across multiple sites and office tasks. You will be given new challenges and follow an exciting learning curve with continuous support and guidance from the team.
You will also need to demonstrate the following attributes:
• Engineering degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline and be a member of or working towards membership of a relevant recognised institution.
• Proven Project Management experience.
• Relevant experience in any of the following areas: civil / mechanical / electrical / instrumentation / process engineering.
• Ability to self-organise and manage time, coordinating others to deliver successful project outcomes.
• Knowledge and experience of the Health and Safety (Management in Construction) (Jersey) Regulations (CDM).
• Experience of supervising contractors to manage quality and execution of work in a safe and timely manner.
• Self-motivated discovery learning to develop and enhance skills appropriate to the role.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills and ability to demonstrate a professional and focused manner at all times.
• IT literate, experienced and proficient in MS365 products.
• An enthusiastic, proactive, and self-motivated approach to work to develop best practices and continuous improvement across the business.
• An organised, methodical working style, able to manage priorities and work with accuracy to meet deadlines.
• A good attention to detail and the ability to solve problems by applying knowledge and understanding.
• Ability to work safely and with minimal supervision including on-site work.
• Have a full, clean driving license covering, at a minimum, Class B1 and B.
• An appreciation of health and safety practices in project delivery and utility environments.
• Ability to develop and evaluate method statements to manage risks and deliver successful outcomes.
• An ability to work across departments and communicate at all levels of the business.
The following attributes would be advantageous:
• A knowledge of the concepts and principles of Asset Management.
• Experience in using Enterprise Asset Management systems.
• Understanding and interpretation of Engineering drawings.
• Knowledge and experience of GIS & AutoCAD.
• Knowledge and experience of engineering and construction contract types (IET, NEC etc.)
• Knowledge and experience of working in the water or utility industry or a critical process-related industry.
• Knowledge of relevant legislation and required controls to protect personnel and public safety and to protect the environment during the execution of duties.
What you do
• Deliver a wide range of projects across the company asset base including property and buildings, land, reservoirs, water treatment facilities and pumping stations.
• Assist with and prepare business cases, specifications, contract documents and forms of tender. Evaluate tenders to help deliver quality projects at competitive costs.
• Supervise both direct and contractual labour, carrying out the installation, refurbishment, and commissioning of fixed plant and equipment.
• Assist with and organise the detailed design and specification of civil, mechanical, electrical and instrument engineering works.
• Liaise with consultants and other external technical organisations on engineering matters.
• Organise and supervise the installation and commissioning of new and refurbished civil works, plant, machinery and instrumentation.
• Carry out technical investigations, feasibility studies, preparation of reports and budget costs for new works and the renewal or refurbishment of existing engineering works.
• Liaise with the operational staff in matters relating to the installation and commissioning of plant and equipment.
• Support the delivery of strategic projects across the business by carrying out research, and providing data and support wherever needed.
• Accurately record your activities in relation to projects and ensure all project documentation is kept up to date in an orderly manner.
• Prepare monthly progress and other reports.
• To work in accordance with Health and Safety (Jersey) Law, the Company’s Safety Management Systems and the Code of Practice for Waterworks Hygiene.
• Actively participate in wider business initiatives and cross-departmental projects aimed at supporting strategic business objectives including employee consultation groups, charity and social programmes.
• Carry out other duties as required.
How you do it (Company values)
• Take personal ownership for ensuring your safety whilst at work and adhering to the company PPE requirements.
• Take personal ownership of your personal and professional development, booking 1:1 meetings, performance reviews and focused five discussions. Fully preparing for each.
• Constantly review the work that you do and the way that you do it, looking for opportunities to streamline processes.
• Align your behaviour, actions and decision-making with our values of We Care, We are ambitious and We work together at all times.
• Act as a leader at all times, considering the impact of your actions on others.
• Present a positive, can-do attitude.
• Support your Lead in the successful delivery of departmental objectives and changes in policies and processes.
• Challenge the status quo in a productive and positive manner.
• Accept and give feedback readily, assuming positive intent.
• Keep up to date with policies and procedures.
• Put the needs of the company and our customers at the forefront of our minds.
• To actively partake in inter-departmental and wider company group initiatives to promote team working to ensure continuous improvement is demonstrated.
• To understand and live the Company Values, being able to demonstrate alignment to them as part of the performance review process.
Closing Date: Monday 8th August